I recently wrote a blog about 9 top tips for killer social media copy https://creativecopywritingsg.com/9-top-tips-for-killer-social-media-copy/
which provides some key insights to get you started – but this blog delves deeper into the words that will help you increase engagement and some post ideas for your business!
Each platform has its own audience that responds differently to the things they see and read, so your social media copy will affect your post’s performance. But how do you cut through the clutter?
Use powerful words! These are crucial for boosting open rates, evoking emotions, and inciting readers to take action. Different power words have different purposes but basically they: strike a balance between being simplistic or pompous; sparks and stokes emotion; communicates clearly, and triggers curiosity. All the things you want in your next post!
Download the full tear sheet from CoSchedule.
The infamous David Ogilvy provides this list of the 20 most influential words in advertising:
And Copyblogger, states the 5 most persuasive words in the English language are:
Other words also include:
‘join’ is a powerful call to community;
‘consequently’ implies a strong cause-and-effect;
‘members-only’ dictates exclusivity; and
‘no obligation’ reduces the barrier to entry.
Also, check out the words in the table below to give you some ideas:
Good copy for your social media posts does make a difference and hopefully, by using some of the words above will help you! Monitor your posts, and over time you will be able to identify which ones create the most attention – which will help you with your social media strategy going forward.
But what if we don’t even know what to post about? There are endless content options you can share about your business, but here are 35 ideas to give you some inspiration:
- Your Company’s Blog Posts – announce and share your latest cool article.
- Posts Showing Your Company’s Culture – e.g. a behind-the-scenes image of your employees doing something quirky, or talking about any unique aspects of the company or ow you do things.
- Industry News – these articles tend to get more social shares than any other type of article.
- Curated content – share the content of others in your niche – don’t forget to give them credit!
- Question posts – serious or fun, these are a great way to know what your audience really wants to read or thinks.
- Product/company videos – videos have a higher organic reach compared to photos – apparently 135% more! so share videos about your company or your new product
- Customer reviews and testimonials – re-post their complimentary words or create a graphic with their testimony. Don’t forget to include their name!
- Quick tips and advice – share essential tips.
- Memes or GIFs – for some light-hearted (and relevant) fun to showcase your brand’s personality
- Contest posts – run a social media competition to boost engagement.
- Holiday/celebration posts – whether it’s Merry Christmas, Hari Raya or a Deepavali, share a related post and offer good wishes.
- Photos From company events – these can be conferences, fundraisers or a team-building session!
- Post an answer to a commonly asked question – if you keep getting asked the same question then share a post with the answer!
- Share infographics – this is a great way to share loads of information in an interesting way visually!
- Links to free resources – offer a free ebook, white paper, or other downloadable content, that will help your audience.
- Podcast episodes – share a great podcast episode as an alternative to a lengthy article.
- New job listings – got a vacancy then let people know!
- Hiring announcements and new team members – let everyone know about your expanding team.
- Event promotion – social media is the best way to promote it!
- Videos (Live or pre-recorded) – these are really popular on every social media platform. Why not do a weekly ‘Fun Fact’, ‘top tip’, ‘how to’ video? Aside from going live, you can create short and straightforward how-to videos explaining how a feature or tool works. These videos will give your audience an inside look and make them more likely to try out your tool after seeing how it works.
- Inspirational quotes – nothing cheesy but ones from leaders that will resonate with your audience
- Company accomplishments – shout about your achievements and awards and celebrate together!
- Product reviews – if you’re in e-commerce, this is a great way to drive sales, or you could even review a tool that your company uses to help drive business!
- Images or videos of your product – give a first-hand look at how your product works, and some interesting facts/tips your audience may not know about it!
- Spotify playlists – share the music you play to help you get inspired at work!
- User-generated content – for example, if someone writes a great review on their social media about your company or mentions something noteworthy – share it!
- Company news announcements – getting a new space? Launching a new product? Just have big news in general? Let people know
- Create a regular series or show – if you have the time and enthusiasm for this, it’s a great way to interest followers regularly – e.g. a weekly Facebook Live session or podcast.
- Case study on your customers – showcase a customer that has been helped by your company or product.
- Share a Survey – whether it’s one you instigated or from an industry expert – either increase the response rate and/or announce the results.
- Share a statistic / interesting industry research – remaining competitive is about having the latest knowledge!
- Reshare your top-performing posts – if it’s worked well before it may do again!
- Promote your partners – do a shout out to a company you work with
- Use emojis and get creative with them! – these can be fun to add to you posts but use them properly!
- Freebies – offer an incentive – who doesn’t love a fab free product or service? This can drive engagement and help promote your products.
Ok, now you’re armed with some keywords and great ideas you can create some awesome posts that really engage and excite your audience!